30.4.15

Beware the Barrenness of a Busy Life (Socrates)

A few weeks ago, almost on a whim but born out of desperation, I cut out all of our evening activities.

Competitive Gymnastics.
Competitive Karate.
Awanas.

These activities had us out of the house 4 evenings a week.  They are good activities.  We enjoyed them.  The kids excelled.  However, there is always a cost.

Back up to January.  I'm driving to a karate practise.  Baby Zoe is screaming in her carseat.  Benji is asleep in his.  The big kids are poking each other.  I'm doing deep breathing exercises and praying for grace.  Baby Zoe had been screaming in her carseat every single time she was in it since she was born.  It was awful.  I said a quick breath prayer, "God, what should I do?"  Quick as a wink the answer was whispered, "Quit it all."  I ignored it.  Not interested.  Not ready.  Soldier on.  But the thought lingered.

I began to notice that the kids were not happy.  They were fighting.  A lot.  Aggressive.  Adrianna was beginning to not want to go to gymnastics.  She felt like she was missing out at home.  She was crying.  She was disturbing the other children during class.  Nathaniel absolutely LOVED karate, but loved it so much he couldn't turn it off and kept "practising" on Benji.  Little Benji was going to bed at 9 or later each night and getting more and more miserable each day.  I was having a horrible time getting all 4 kids out the door and then back home.  Getting 4 over-tired and over-stimulated children into bed at 9pm was awful for everyone.

The atmosphere was not peaceful.

So finally, we quit.  Adrianna did her last gymnastics competition and that was the end.  At this point, she never wants to go back.  Nathaniel cried for 10 minutes about ending karate and hasn't mentioned it since.  Benji is in bed asleep by 6:30 most nights.  The big kids are in bed by 8.

One big decision has a domino effect.

Earlier bed ---> Earlier morning
Earlier morning ---> School work is completed in the morning
School work done ---> Afternoons free to be outside
Outside afternoons ---> Happy tired evenings and early bedtimes

It works.

We have replaced the hours running about to activities with hours together outside (weather permitting) or inside together doing fun things we never had time to do before - like baking and playing board games.  The money saved is being reallocated to proper outdoor clothing and equipment and for fun day trips.

The atmosphere is slower.  Gentler.  Kinder.  More connected.
The kids are rested.  More content.  Kinder.  Generally happier.

We may someday add in evening activities again.  Or maybe not.  Certainly not for awhile.
For now, we are all just enjoying the peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment